McDowell Student Council
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDowell Student Council

McDowell Student Council

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

School Lunches?

Go down 
+8
Cryptorchild
Ninja
Demosthenes
Limey
Lieutenant Commander Data
Lt. Cmd. Gordy LaForge
Roland Deschain
Tyler Durden
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male
Number of posts : 325
Job/hobbies : Paper Street Soap Co.
Humor : So a guy walks into a bar.... Well I forget the punchline, but your mom's a hooker
Registration date : 2009-01-28

School Lunches? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:46 pm

Yep.
Our priorities are McDowell as a whole.
Back to top Go down
https://mcdsc.darkbb.com
Ninja
Senator
Ninja

Male
Number of posts : 98
Job/hobbies : Musician, Professional Thief
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 pm

however, people still do go up to cofair
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male
Humor : So a guy walks into a bar.... Well I forget the punchline, but your mom's a hooker

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Cofair gets a negative connotation with smokers and the like though.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 pm

And cofair is also more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Senator
Ninja

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 pm

true, but i for one get free food there if you know what i mean Smile
Back to top Go down
Senator

Male
Number of posts : 62
Job/hobbies : programming/web dev.
Humor : USE THE <br />!
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Ninja wrote:
true, but i for one get free food there if you know what i mean Smile

Cryptorchild wrote:
All of the things that teenagers in our school are doing, are completely overrated. It doesn't make you cool to get high, it won't strengthen your relationship if you have sex, it's not cool that you stole from Country Fair, or whatever the hell else you are doing. I don't want to be involved, or hear about it.

People need to just shut their fucking mouths.
-link
QFT
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm not a fan of it either.
I'm not gonna try to stop you from doing it,
But I'm not going to encourage it myself.
Back to top Go down
Cryptorchild
Senator
Cryptorchild

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm not offending anyone with that statement, I hope.

My opinion is that it won't make you seem 'cooler' or 'badass'. Anyone can do it, it's just ripping off the business. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. I don't care what anyone else does but I don't want to be involved. Do what you please, I won't be the one to stop you. Everyone has the right of choice. The decisions you make are none of my business, and I won't judge you for them.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Senator
Ninja

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm

O SNAP PAGE THREE!!! WHO SAYS TROLLING DOESNT WORK?! lulz.

And also I steal relocate bc i hate corporate america.
CEO bastards at the top, buying private islands and jets, redecorating
their offices (which, btw is what happened to our economy, all the banks
decided to redecorate their offices, adios 10 trillion dollars) hogging all the wealth,
stealing from the lower class with overpriced shitty products *cough* Walmart.
Also, they use child labor (illegal in America) so they go to other countries
and troll little Chinese kids for two cents an hour, once again for the purposes of: greed!
So yeah. I hate corporate America. I'm not trying to be "cool", that's just my standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male
Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Well it seems that a couple of issues need to be addressed here. I'll start off by making some major points and then giving my opinion on the latter.

Boycotting school lunches
First of all, I don't think boycotting school lunches would work, and if it did then it certainly wouldn't be profitable to our student benefit. Reasons for this are that most of the school lunches are frozen anyways. The district is prepared for a far fetched rebellion of students to say hey, we don't want to eat. Even past that, it's a non-intentional stand on buying and selling food to students. Frozen is the way to go. Do you really expect to pay little money for freshly made and cut food to feed 1200 hungry teenagers? Other than the reason that it's frozen foods, a rebellion of not eating school lunches would have to be done by nearly every student in that lunch room. It would have to be an extremely heavily coordinated event, with no gain to the other students other than an idea of "better lunch". A nearly impossible feat to be sure, unless cockroaches started appearing in meals and pasta. The only thing a large scale student boycott of lunches would do is ruin the already heated food, laid out fruits, and possibly the near expired milks. If one student was worth $2 of food, then over the span of a week, if 100 students didn't eat according to the schools student to bought lunch ratio, it would loose perhaps $200 a day, and $1,000 a week. Once the school starts seeing the number of kids dropping their tastes in school food, they'll simply spend less money on lunches altogether, unless their regulated somehow to provide food for all students, even if all students don't buy. If we could get some more information on school policy on spending money on lunches then we can talk. Who's up for some researching? pirat It isn't a necessity for students to eat at school anyways. I'm with this guy:

Quote :
Anyone can do it, it's just ripping off the business. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
-Cryptorchild

School lunch healthiness?
My personal opinion here is that the school seriously needs to drop this extremely healthy shit. It's making the food bad honestly. Although if the schools healthy food is bad I don't think students should be complaining. You should simply just not eat it. You have any idea how many kids I hear say:
"Ohhh, dude. That shit looks so nasty!"
And then proceed to eating it anyways, as if it weren't really that bad. I think that school foods do need to be healthy, but not to the extremes and measures MTSD has taken it. 10 years ago it was literally everyone pulling super-sized fries and big macs out of their pockets. Now that was unhealthy. Keep it real I think. Make healthiness and school quality fit to applicable standards.

School Lunch Proportions
Over the last couple of years school lunch proportions of bought food have steadily decreased. Pizzatas, although good, are only served in sets of 2. It's really just a waste of money in my eyes and not filling enough. However, I believe lunch proportions are accurately done. I can eat pasta and feel satisfied at the end of my meal. I cannot however, eat a hot dog that looks green (Because it's super healthified) with 5 or 6 tater tots and feel satisfied. Main lunch needs to be improved upon, but I think the rest is well measured.

Over all, I don't think school lunches are really that gross or horrible. I think the people, with a few exceptions just like to make shit up and complain. I eat school lunches every day. I've never had a problem.
king
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Senator
Ninja

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Homunculus wrote:
...A nearly impossible feat to be sure, unless cockroaches started appearing in meals and pasta....

Are you suggesting something my good man?
Back to top Go down
Cryptorchild
Senator
Cryptorchild

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Chosen of Denier wrote:
Well it seems that a couple of issues need to be addressed here. I'll start off by making some major points and then giving my opinion on the latter.

I'm with this guy:

Quote :
Anyone can do it, it's just ripping off the business. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
-Cryptorchild

Just going to clarify something. I'm no guy.

The points you made were also alright, but I find most everything they make disgusting regardless.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Chosen of Denier wrote:

First of all, I don't think boycotting school lunches would work, and if it did then it certainly wouldn't be profitable to our student benefit. Reasons for this are that most of the school lunches are frozen anyways. The district is prepared for a far fetched rebellion of students to say hey, we don't want to eat. Even past that, it's a non-intentional stand on buying and selling food to students. Frozen is the way to go. Do you really expect to pay little money for freshly made and cut food to feed 1200 hungry teenagers? Other than the reason that it's frozen foods, a rebellion of not eating school lunches would have to be done by nearly every student in that lunch room. It would have to be an extremely heavily coordinated event, with no gain to the other students other than an idea of "better lunch". A nearly impossible feat to be sure, unless cockroaches started appearing in meals and pasta. The only thing a large scale student boycott of lunches would do is ruin the already heated food, laid out fruits, and possibly the near expired milks.

I'm not saying they shouldn't use frozen food,
I'm saying it should be properly cooked before it is served.
No one wants half frozen pizza.
And the school contracts out it's food service,
So if they stop making money,
They'll be forced to increase quality,
Or suffer the cash loss.
And organization is no problem,
It would just take time.
Back to top Go down
Lt. Cmd. Gordy LaForge
Magistrate
Lt. Cmd. Gordy LaForge

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:56 pm

time and people i'd like to say, cuz a 'lunch boycott' with 15 people ain't gonna do much weather you like it or not, they prepare for a certain amount of lunch each day, and that number can be easily exploitable depending on the number of people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hundland.org/scripts/MightyMorphinPowerRangers.txt
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Chosen of Denier wrote:

First of all, I don't think boycotting school lunches would work, and if it did then it certainly wouldn't be profitable to our student benefit. Reasons for this are that most of the school lunches are frozen anyways. The district is prepared for a far fetched rebellion of students to say hey, we don't want to eat. Even past that, it's a non-intentional stand on buying and selling food to students. Frozen is the way to go. Do you really expect to pay little money for freshly made and cut food to feed 1200 hungry teenagers? Other than the reason that it's frozen foods, a rebellion of not eating school lunches would have to be done by nearly every student in that lunch room. It would have to be an extremely heavily coordinated event, with no gain to the other students other than an idea of "better lunch". A nearly impossible feat to be sure, unless cockroaches started appearing in meals and pasta. The only thing a large scale student boycott of lunches would do is ruin the already heated food, laid out fruits, and possibly the near expired milks.

I'm not saying they shouldn't use frozen food,
I'm saying it should be properly cooked before it is served.
No one wants half frozen pizza.
And the school contracts out it's food service,
So if they stop making money,
They'll be forced to increase quality,
Or suffer the cash loss.
And organization is no problem,
It would just take time.

Lol, good point. Does the food service give them a certain amount of food based upon numbers of students who eat food from home and buy? How do they know how much food to have? Because no doubt. Having a 100 less people eat school lunches would definitely do something, rest assured.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 pm

I think they do something along the lines of using past data for the previous week or month or other micellanious period of time,
And then apply those numbers to the upcoming period of time,
Using averages to outway outliers.
Or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:21 pm

See that was my first thought on the matter, and then it came to me...

Is the school obligated to have as much food as possible to feed all the students if necessary?

And how often is food from this company purchased?
Once a month?
Once a week?

Some questions need to be answered before we can really get into this.
How about...

What is McDowell's Food service provider?
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 pm

All of the above is part of the heavy organizing that was afore mentioned.
I will start some research this week and report findings,
But for now I think we should focus on finding prospective participants to help in organization.
Back to top Go down
Limey
Senator

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 pm

Looks like we have some digging around to do Smile
School lunch isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The pasta used to be desirable, but now its detestable. However, on the issue of portion sizes, I completely agree with the common consensus that they are sometimes to small. Now whether or not this requires a boycotting of the school cafeteria is very debatable. Has anyone tried to talk to the school about this? I'm guessing no, so lets try some less invasive methods before we result to something like a boycott.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:05 pm

Limey wrote:
School lunch isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The pasta used to be desirable, but now its detestable. However, on the issue of portion sizes, I completely agree with the common consensus that they are sometimes to small. Now whether or not this requires a boycotting of the school cafeteria is very debatable. Has anyone tried to talk to the school about this? I'm guessing no, so lets try some less invasive methods before we result to something like a boycott.
Fair statement is fair.
But I put it at 1,000:1 odds that just talking to them changes anything.

"Excuse me, Mr. King of England,
Can America be it's own sovereign nation free of English rules and taxes?"
It usually doesn't turn out that well.
Back to top Go down
javabean
Consul

Male
Number of posts : 145
Job/hobbies : Ethical Egotist
Humor : Yo dawg I herd u liek memes so I put a meme in yo meme so you can laugh while you laugh.
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:
I agree completely.
I have unconsciously stopped buying lunch at school, but it is for the best.
I eat a good breakfast, and eat a snack of some sort when I get home.
I'm saving money, not really being all that hungry throughout the day, and not having to put up with the sub par food.

I know who you are now. -.-'

Personally I would like to see McDowell go organic. Now by organic I don't mean vegetarian, more-so like no added preservatives and chemicals. Also most organically grown food is grown locally so we cut out the shipping and handling prices. Sure enough though the school lunch prices would go up, but gradually they will go down when we find the best local farms. I would gladly pay $2.50 for a tasteful lunch rather than $1.95 for a tasteless half-microwaved one. So if McDowell went organic/local the quality and quantity would go up at the cost of a larger price tag.
Back to top Go down
Limey
Senator

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Limey wrote:
Fair statement is fair.
But I put it at 1,000:1 odds that just talking to them changes anything.

"Excuse me, Mr. King of England,
Can America be it's own sovereign nation free of English rules and taxes?"
It usually doesn't turn out that well.

I agree, but we should atleast try.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Limey,
Yes we should try.

Javabean,
I too would pay an extra 50 cents for GOOD food.
For our current state of food though,
$1.95 is grossly overcharging.
Back to top Go down
Limey
Senator

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Hell yeah it is. I think its a hit and miss type of deal though. Today for instance, the food was great.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Yea,
I'm a fan of breakfast days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Lunches?   School Lunches? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School Lunches?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next