McDowell Student Council
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDowell Student Council

McDowell Student Council

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Book/Series?

Go down 
+2
Tyler Durden
Roland Deschain
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Roland Deschain
Consul
Roland Deschain

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Favorite Book/Series? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm sure we're all looking to find some new books to read at some point. (I know I am all the time.)

Suggest some of your favorite books or series of books, or even authors.

For my own, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
I <3 Oy.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male
Number of posts : 325
Job/hobbies : Paper Street Soap Co.
Humor : So a guy walks into a bar.... Well I forget the punchline, but your mom's a hooker
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 pm

My favorite individual book is probably The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.
It's about a libertarian revolution that takes place on a colony on the moon that is mostly occupied by prisoners.
Heinlein as an author is also superb,
He's a sci-fi writer,
And I havn't yet read a book by him that I disliked.

But my absolute favorite author is R.A. Salvatore,
Just about all his books are part of a mega-series broken into smaller series,
And the series can be read starting just about anywhere as long as its the first book in the smaller series,
But I'd reccomend starting with The Halfling's Gem,
Like I did.

But both author's are amazing.
Back to top Go down
https://mcdsc.darkbb.com
Lieutenant Commander Data
Senator
Lieutenant Commander Data

Male
Number of posts : 62
Job/hobbies : programming/web dev.
Humor : USE THE <br />!
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:11 pm

Of course, I would have to suggest Orson Scott Card. It's been too long since I've read his Ender's Game series to give any type of short sumary or to explay why I enjoyed it so much, but I really did.
There are 8 books total, 4 in the main Ender's Game series and 4 in the parallel Ender's Shadow series. The first book in each series take place at the same time and are linked up very well, following the story of two young genius boys who are chosen to go to "Battle School" where they will be trained to become future commanders of an invasion fleet to some aliens' homeworld.
The last three books in each series may seem boring to some, but they are full of very high-end philosophical thinking, which I like in a book. OSC's characters are very well-developed, reminding me of something along the lines of Frodo in Lord of the Rings, and they bring up so many facets of so many topics to think about, most of which you can apply to your own life.
It was from these books that I got my current username. A character in the story uses the name Locke (John Locke, the British Philosopher) as a pseudonym to publish his works online. It's funny because I'm named after someone who's named after someone else!

I also enjoyed his book Empire, which is basically about anothe Civil War in the United States in the near future. I'm generally not too much into politics, but those who are may enjoy a look into the future.

PS: OSC has a movie called Ender's Game in the making! Probably not gonna be nearly as good as the book, but hey, it'll be fun to watch!
Back to top Go down
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm

R.A. Salvatore - author

Don't make any Drizzt wannabe's anyone, please.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://mcdsc.darkbb.com
Demosthenes
Senator
Demosthenes

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:34 am

Hm, i read ALOT so let me think about this.

I love the Ender series by Orson Card, um.
I LOVED the twilight series and i'm proud to say it.

I devoured the Halo books, and almost anything by stephen king.
The stand, Dark tower series, the shining.
The forever war by Joe Haldeman( I think)

theres too many books.
Back to top Go down
|\|||\|_|/-|
Senator
|\|||\|_|/-|

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Books suck men dick unless they are from a ninja author.
Ex)Stinky underwear
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book/Series?   Favorite Book/Series? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Book/Series?
Page 1 of 1