McDowell Student Council
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDowell Student Council

McDowell Student Council

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Unifying naming of both schools

Go down 
+4
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Lt. Cmd. Gordy LaForge
Lieutenant Commander Data
Tyler Durden
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male
Number of posts : 325
Job/hobbies : Paper Street Soap Co.
Humor : So a guy walks into a bar.... Well I forget the punchline, but your mom's a hooker
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Unifying naming of both schools Empty
PostSubject: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 2:47 am

The school board is trying to pass legislation this upcoming year that would make both schools "McDowell Highschool."
No more Intermediate.
Once school,
Two buildings.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
https://mcdsc.darkbb.com
Senator

Male
Number of posts : 62
Job/hobbies : programming/web dev.
Humor : USE THE <br />!
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 am

That could get confusing. I guess we'd have to start differentiating them by the "North" and "South" buildings?
Back to top Go down
Lt. Cmd. Gordy LaForge
Magistrate
Lt. Cmd. Gordy LaForge

Male
Number of posts : 98

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 10:33 am

i think they've invested too much cash on the intermediate, just look at the difference Razz

but hey, you never know what could happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hundland.org/scripts/MightyMorphinPowerRangers.txt
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male
Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 10:36 am

What would be the pros and cons of this? I mean wouldn't all it do is change the names of the school? Do we have an intel list?
Back to top Go down
Martin Luther
Senator
Martin Luther

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:06 pm

I think it's a good idea. It's awkward when filling out personal info to request information from colleges and such when I have to fill out that I go to "McDowell Intermediate High School". Personally, I think it sounds more like a junior high school or middle school, than just half of the whole high school. In addition, I don't think it would be all that confusing, people would still likely refer to the two buildings as the "high school" and the "intermediate" seeing as how that's how it's been done practically forever now. Plus, there's always the thing about "unity" or whatever. It really sometimes feels like two separate schools when it's actually just one school with two buildings separated by a little over a hundred yards.

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Quote :
Yea,
I think that's exactly what they'd do.

And I agree with Martin Luther,
It does seem like we'd be a lot younger than highschool,
Which is why I have theorized that's why you only see McDowell Senior High on websites like Facebook and Myspace.
I think it would be a good thing.
And it might cut some costs,
Like administration and possibly teacher staffing if they are considered one school.

Heh, heres the news man:
We separate middle school from elementary school.
We separate high school with middle school.
We separate intermediate high school with senior high school.

Why?
Well, I believe the answer lies somewhere in the realms of.... Being annoyed by youngsters. Yeap, that's it. Now, we (without singling out any one persons maturity) may not be annoying to the juniors or even seniors.

But ask yourself young grasshopper.
Could you honestly see a group of seniors walking alongside a group of freshman?
Someone would get driven over, and I don't think the freshman can drive.
rabbit
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male
Humor : So a guy walks into a bar.... Well I forget the punchline, but your mom's a hooker

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:43 pm

But the administration doesn't care about any of that.
It's not their perogative on whether we annoy the upper/underclass.
They (in theory) just want efficiency.

And for the record,
I have several friends in all grades.
Back to top Go down
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Senator
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 pm

I believe to some degree little mister that student happiness is in accordance with student efficiency. Are freshman picked on by seniors or is that only in the 80's? Now, without singling out specific peoples maturity levels, is separating grades like so done for efficiency? Or maybe is it done for spacing? alien
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 pm

But it's not really spacing anyone out.
In some electives, there are people in all grades.
And other's travel through both schools,
So they are exposed to all other ages.

And this isn't even the issue.
We are talking about the name of both schools,
Not merging the grades or anything of the sort.
Off topic thread FTW/L.

(Why W/L you ask?
I havn't yet decided if it's a win or a lose.)
Back to top Go down
javabean
Consul

Male
Number of posts : 145
Job/hobbies : Ethical Egotist
Humor : Yo dawg I herd u liek memes so I put a meme in yo meme so you can laugh while you laugh.
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 pm

This is a major lose, I would even go epic failure, in my opinion. When I think of McDowell I think of BOTH buildings. We are not two schools, we are one school. Naming one building Intermediate and Senior High are just for the greatest efficiency. Hell in college they have many buildings and they don't all have the same name If they had the same name everything will become immensely confusing.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:25 pm

javabean wrote:
This is a major lose, I would even go epic failure, in my opinion. When I think of McDowell I think of BOTH buildings. We are not two schools, we are one school. Naming one building Intermediate and Senior High are just for the greatest efficiency. Hell in college they have many buildings and they don't all have the same name If they had the same name everything will become immensely confusing.
I like this idea.
Have both buildings be McDowell Highschool,
But different building names.
Perhaps North/South Buildings?
Back to top Go down
javabean
Consul

Male
Humor : Yo dawg I herd u liek memes so I put a meme in yo meme so you can laugh while you laugh.

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
javabean wrote:
I like this idea.

Technically that wasn't an idea, more of just my philosophy of McDowell.

Anyways, yah, I would keep it Senior and Intermediate myself.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:35 pm

But intermediate,
Like stated before,
Makes it seem like we're in middle school.
And so much younger,
And is almost demeaning.
Back to top Go down
javabean
Consul

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
But intermediate,
Like stated before,
Makes it seem like we're in middle school.
And so much younger,
And is almost demeaning.

True, but intermediate just 'stuck' with me.

Perhaps name the buildings after our school colors (white building lol)?
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:48 pm

I think "White building" could be miscontrued.
Perhaps hold a giant bidding war fundraiser,
Highest bidder gets building named after them.
It's been done for public buildings in the past,
Don't see why it couldn't work here.
And maybe then we could fix that damn leak in the Science section of the second floor in MIHS.
Back to top Go down
Roland Deschain
Consul
Roland Deschain

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 am

The way I see it, it doesn't even matter if it passes, everyone will still be calling it MIHS or the Intermediate whether or not that is the technical name for it. I know I will.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Hmmm.
You're probably right.
But I think it would look better on things like college apps and other forms.
Back to top Go down
Senator

Male
Number of posts : 62
Job/hobbies : programming/web dev.
Humor : USE THE <br />!
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
And maybe then we could fix that damn leak in the Science section of the second floor in MIHS.
Maybe. That guy's finally done working on that door in MHS that has been down for several months.
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 pm

What door would that be?
Back to top Go down
Quagmire
Senator
Quagmire

Male
Number of posts : 21
Job/hobbies : Bum
Humor : Family Guy
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
javabean wrote:
I like this idea.
I like tylers' idea...
We are one school, but there is obviously 2 seperate buildings, so there has to be some differentiation. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Tyler Durden
Magistrate
Tyler Durden

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Mhm.
I think it's the most sensible thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unifying naming of both schools   Unifying naming of both schools Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unifying naming of both schools
Page 1 of 1